Old Malton Highland Beef Bourguignon – Serves 6
|1 kg Old Malton highland braising steak;
200g smoked bacon lardons;
3 tbsp rape seed oil;
3 tbsp plain flour;
|300 ml red wine;
150 ml beef stock;
1 bouquet garni;
1 garlic clove;
300g button mushrooms;
To make Old Malton Highland Beef Bourguignon:
- Heat the oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas mark 3.
- Cut the braising steak into pieces approximately 5cm by 7cm. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large flameproof casserole. Add the beef in batches and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the beef and drain on paper towels. Repeat for the next batch(es).
- Add the bacon lardons and cook until the bacon is crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for a minute. Gradually add the wine and stock, bring to the boil and stir until thickened.
- Return the beef and bacon lardons to the casserole. Add the bouquet garni, crushed garlic clove, salt and pepper. Cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the shallots. Add the remaining tbsp. of oil to a frying pan. Add the shallots and cook until soft. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Add the shallots and mushrooms to the casserole. Return to the oven and cook for another hour.
- Remove the bouquet garni. Serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables.